Thursday, February 26, 2009

Just Call Me Doctor...

That was me today. I often get called Teacher, but today I was Doctor. :o)
I spent the day in Mitumba Slum again today, and here is what I did:

Gave all the kids multi-vitamins.

De-wormed about 100 kids.

Cleaned and bandaged a profusely bleeding cut.

Cleaned and bandaged numerous small cuts and scrapes.

Gave a child medication for an amoeba problem.

Cleaned and medicated a scraped up face.

Helped another child suffering from swollen glands and infection.

All this, and much, much more!! :o)

It was quite the day!! I really enjoyed it, as when the children come up to the clinic for help, that gives me some individual time with them, to talk with them, and make them feel important. I love it. And I love them. And yes, I have explained to Pastor that I am not trained in any medical field, but then he reminds me that neither is anyone else there, and somebody has to do it. So I am willing. (there is also a doctor on call whom we can call for advice and help, so that is really good.)

I will be doing a lot more of this in the future. Pastor and Violet also asked me today if I would be willing to take all the Class 4, 5, and 6’s (about 50 kids) on Wednesday mornings, and have discussions with them on different topics relevant to their age group, whether it be simple things like cleanliness (how to keep yourself clean), changing bodies, puberty…(all these things are so important as a lot of them don’t have parents or anyone who cares enough to explain some of these things to them.) The topics may also range to spiritual things, studying the Bible, being strong in the Lord…so I am very excited about this, as I welcome any chance I have to get to know these youth!! I wish you could all meet them. It would change your life, as it has changed ours.

Another interesting thing happened to me today at the slum. I was up in the clinic, doing some organizing there, when all of a sudden I heard a sound like gunshots (but not quite as loud), and people yelling and screaming loudly! I was a little uneasy, so I decided to just stay up there behind closed doors (I was the only mzungu (white person) in the slum, and figured that down in the chaos was probably NOT the best place for me!!). I was trying to hear what was going on, but everyone was just speaking Kiswahili, so it left me with no clue. I looked outside, and saw the corridors CROWDED with people, but still had no idea what had happened. Later, I found out that there was a group of electricians coming to do some wiring (btw, lately, many people in the slum have been stealing everyone else’s wiring for electricity, because it is expensive. But through that, people have also been getting shocked and killed by the live wires)…anyway, the electricians came with security…three policemen with rifles similar to AK-47’s, (which is common for anyone coming to the slum to come with some form of security). Some people living in the slum (for some reason unknown to us), starting throwing rocks at these electricians and policemen, intending to stone them. The policemen, however, had brought tear gas, and used it on the people…and thus the gun shot noise I heard!! This brought chaos, and everyone running in separate directions. Crazy!! But it was effective enough to stop the rock-throwing and bring about some sort of peace. But Pastor told me that if the electricians had not brought security with them, there is a good chance that they would have been killed today, or at least very badly injured. Such is life in a slum.

Oh, and on another note…an update on Trevor’s life :o). He has been SOO busy at the shop these days again, especially since taking a few days off when his sisters were visiting, so the work all piled up!! But another awesome praise item is that he is getting such great feedback from people…everyone is so happy that he is here, and are so thankful that he takes the time to help them and answer their questions. Just the other day he got two Java House (our favourite place!!) gift certificates from a customer, just to say thank you!! Steven, Benedicto and Mark are dreading him leaving in August, and are praying continually that we will return soon. There have been many jokes and threats to tie Trevor to his desk, or to the shop…or to tear up his passport so he has no choice but to stay! :o) Their relationship is really, really cool, and it is so great to see how God brought Trevor to the TAM shop at just the right time. It is amazing. We are so thankful for what HE has done.

Here is a quote I came across the other day…it’s a secular quote, but has made me think a lot lately.

"Don't ask what the world needs.
Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
- Howard Thurman

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dr Andrea! I knew Pastor wouldn't wait too long to put you in charge of the medicine! haha, I'm sure you're doing a great job! Tell those kids I say hi and think of them often! Plus, let me know if there's anything else you need for your clinic! Oh, and tell Trevor I say hi!
miss you already!
Leona

Anonymous said...

It is so obvious that you guys are exactly where God wants you! Your passion about what you are doing couldn't come through more clearly! How exciting! Andrea I would not have imagined you "loving" working with cuts, scraps and blood, etc! Again obvoiusly a God thing. When you're hugging those sweet kids, pass on some of my love. :)
Marilyn