Tuesday, November 25, 2008

New Life Home!!

I am excited to report that I have started volunteering at New Life Home, which is a baby orphanage not far from where we live! I have been wanting to do this for a long time, but I hadn’t yet been able to yet with the way things worked out. So I went yesterday for the first time…it was a great day! I kind of felt like I got a new excitement for being here, and it was really encouraging.

I walked to New Life, which takes about a half hour. It was a nice walk, and I only have to cross one busy street, so that’s bonus too!! I met a lot of friendly people, (some a little too friendly, maybe!), but it was not as intimidating as I expected, and was actually quite enjoyable!! Just being outside in the wonderful Kenyan sun, and seeing the local people go about their day…

The orphanage is run by Kenyans, and staffed by Kenyans, so that was part of the draw for me to get involved here, so that I can get to know the local people. They were all so welcoming and excited that I was there to help out, and I am so looking forward to getting to know the ladies there.
The babies are split into four different groups…the older toddlers, younger toddlers, babies and sick ICU babies. I helped out with the babies for most of the day…and while they napped helped out with the toddlers.
It is an excellent orphanage…it is very organized, the kids are all on a schedule, they get fed really well, and the staff are very loving and really do all they can for the kids living there. I was very impressed by what I saw, and am very glad to be able to help them out.

I am planning on going there three days a week for now, and see how things go. The day was filled with feeding babies, holding them, loving them, comforting them…playing with the cutest kids ever, breaking up fights, getting peed on…!!! It really was great!! I know that God has a deep concern for the fatherless children, and I am convinced that we need to help them as much as we are able. It truly was a joy to be there, and to get to know the most vulnerable ones in society, and show them the love of Christ.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited that you're working at an orphanage in Africa - I don't know if I've ever told you, but that's always been my dream. How awesome! I hope it's going really well for you, and would love to hear updates about it! Looks like an awesome place! Do most of the children get adopted? Love you lots!
Bobbi