Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Please Pray

Last Saturday, it finally happened. After telling the girls in my Bible study week after week that I am here for them, that if they need to talk, they can come talk to me, and all that, it finally happened.

Now I have gotten to know these kids really well already, but an actual “heart-to-heart” is different. I really want to get to know their hearts. To know who they really are. To know how their lives have gotten to this point.

So after our Bible study was over (and by the way, we have been splitting up the guys and girls for Bible Study, and been going through some more sensitive issues with them. Topics like HIV/AIDS, sex, relationships, their bodies, and things like that. It has been really great, and both groups have opened up and asked many questions and we have been able to have many great discussions with them!!!), so anyway, after it was over, I was getting ready to leave the classroom. There was one girl left, and to be honest I didn’t even know her name. She hasn’t come very often, and usually disappears quickly after the study. She asked me if we could talk. I immediately put down my books and purse, and agreed. So we sat down, and she just spilled her story. I don’t feel like I should give any details, especially since she has felt so betrayed by everyone in her life already, and does not feel like she can trust anyone. But I just want you to know that this girl needs prayer. She is in a lot of trouble and bondage. She feels like she is at the end, and I think talking to me was kind of a last resort.

Alice and I


So we talked (or should I say she talked, and I listened) for a long time. I prayed for her. We were both crying. I asked her if I could be her friend. She looked at me for awhile, and then said “yes”. As we got up to leave, she wiped the tears from her face, and asked if she could hug me. Umm, YES! I’m thinking, “girl, I can’t have a heart-to-heart with you like this and then NOT hug you!” It was a wonderful moment, and I know that God brought her into my life for a reason, but I feel so incredibly inadequate to know how to help her. I am asking you to pray. Please, please pray. Pray for Alice. Pray for me as I talk to her. Pray for our meetings together. Pray for God’s spirit to surround this sweet girl. Pray that God would give her courage to do what is right. Pray for her family. PRAY. PRAY. PRAY. We need you to join us in this.

One of our youth, Vinny (Vincent), is in need of prayer right now as well. On Sunday, his older sister was killed. She was electrocuted by the illegal electricity that many people in the slums are stealing, and don’t know that the wire is live. She died instantly after touching this wire.
Please pray for Vinny and his family. Vinny is a believer, and takes leadership with the youth. Please pray that he would turn to God in this time of trouble, and that he would find God to be faithful and true, and learn to trust Him more.

Tragedies like this happen frequently in the slum, it seems. These youth and kids have to deal with horrible things on a regular basis. It’s not right, and it’s not fair.

We are reading a book right now that we got from Marcus and Marilyn in a care package called “Holding on to your Faith Even When God Doesn’t Make Sense” by Dr. James Dobson. Please pray that God will use this book to teach us, and use to it help us help the youth.

Asante sana. (Thank you very much).

2 comments:

Mom Neudorf said...

Our hearts are heavy when we think of the people you are working with, and yet, there is joy, knowing, because of you being there, they are getting to know Christ in and through you. We're praying for you.

Michelle said...

I almost started to cry when I read your story about Alice Andrea.. it brought me back to different sitautions of my experience in africa.. I'm so happy to hear that these girls can feel comfortable to come and talk to you - and by that you can KNOW that God has specifically put you there. I am very encouraged :)
My prayers are with you.