Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Willing Hearts

Often it starts by being willing.

That’s what we’ve come to see as true anyway. It’s when we are willing to step out. Out of our comfort zone. Out of our “world”. Out of what is easy. That’s when the biggest blessings are found.

Sunday was a baptism service in Mitumba. The week prior was a difficult one for us, with attending two memorial services and dealing with the grief that comes along with that. These kinds of times are emotionally draining, as we all know. We were looking forward to having a quiet Sunday…going to our Church here, which we love, and then spending the rest of the day at home, or walking, or whatever, but just being together and not having to give of ourselves at all. One of our youth, Rueben (who also works at the TAM shop with Trevor), came to the memorial service for Ryan Williams with us on Saturday morning. It was there that he mentioned that he would really like it if we came to Mitumba for Church the following day.

My first instinct was to say, “Thanks for the invitation, but no thanks. I know what kind of a day that will be, and I just don’t feel like it.”

But…..Trevor and I talked about it, and while we were both feeling that way, we also both felt like we needed to go to Mitumba. So…(reluctantly, I must admit) we said yes.

Rueben’s smile as we parked our car at the slum on Sunday morning did it for me. His face was completely lit up, and his eyes were happy. Really, really happy. He hurried to the car, and immediately gave us hugs and said “You came!!” Yes Rueben, we came. I felt guilt at my bad attitude the day before, and felt truly thankful that we decided to come.

It had only been a week since we saw our youth, but it felt like so much longer! Hugs were given all around, genuine smiles on all our faces…it felt like we were home. Home with our youth that we love so much. Aahhh…we came. And my heart felt happy.

We were asked to be “spiritual parents” for some of the youth. This means that at the baptism, we hold their towels for them, help them out of the water, and carry their things for them. In the long run, it means that we commit to be there for them, to follow up with them their decision made to follow Christ, and be a mentor to them. It is an honour to be asked.

Trevor was asked to be Derek’s spiritual father, and I was asked to be spiritual mother to three girls : Alice, Jane G. and Jane N. It was so great to be so directly involved in this special day (something we were not expecting).



Trevor and Derek



My "daughters" and I: Alice Barongo, Jane Gathoni and Jane Ndinda


The actual baptism service was like something out of a movie played in fast-forward! It was so quick, unorganized, people everywhere, and included me running around like a chicken with her head cut off! Let me explain!! =)

We were waiting in the Pastor’s office with all the baptism candidates. We didn’t know the order of who was first, second, and so on, and there were people everywhere. And it was loud! So we would wait until all of a sudden we would hear “Andrea!! Alice is next! She’s already out there! You have to go!” So I would push my way through the crowd of scared candidates who were terrified at the thought of getting dunked in the C-O-L-D water, give hugs where necessary, all while trying to get through with Alice’s towel so I could be ready for when she needed me. I got there, helped her dry off somewhat, hurriedly walked with her to the classroom where she could change, and then rushed back to the office, where I heard again “Andrea!! Jane Ndinda is out there! Hurry!!” So, I followed the same process all over again…rushed out to the baptism pool, helped her dry off, hurried to the classroom, and then back to the office…where, you guessed it, a third shouting of “Hurry up Andrea!!” By this time I’m a little stressed, and by my third round out of the Church with the third girl, the teachers are laughing at me, as it seems that all I’m doing is running laps from the office to the Church to the classroom and back again! Good times! After my three girls were through, I was able to help all the girls who were getting changed by getting their things them, getting water so they could wash their feet, and so on. I missed most of the actual baptism, but was thankful to be able to help the girls in these ways.

Trevor was able to relax a little more as he only had Derek to help. There were less boys getting baptized and so each “father” got only one boy. He was able to spend more time just being there instead of rushing around.

Both of us felt truly blessed in the roles we got to play in being there for our youth. God is so good.



The congregation watching the baptism!! =)


After the baptism part of the service was over, we sat through a graduation for six adults who have gone through a Bible study and faithfully completed the requirements of the ten week course. From there we listened to the message, and then participated in Communion.
I should mention that we were sitting in the front, with the preacher shouting into the mic directly in front of us, and the speakers turned up on high volume directly behind us. Needless to say the service felt long and we left with pounding headaches! Oh well, it was okay. We didn’t get out of Church until close to 4 pm (so the service felt long for good reason!!)…where we were then treated to sodas and cake from the Bible study graduates. From there we were given a big lunch of ugali and stew and interesting conversation with the Pastors.

The last thing on the list of events for the day was to spend some time in Mama Kamau’s house. Mama Kamau is the mother of one of our youth, Kamau. She asked if we could come to her house to pray with her family, and celebrate Kamau’s recovery from his circumcision surgery. This was one of my favourite parts of the day. I love being able to walk through the slum, greet the women, hug the children, smile at curious neighbours who are wondering why we are there, and just continually learn more about slum life. I always wonder why we enjoy being there so much. It is a dirty place. It is a smelly place. It is a depressing place. And yet, when we are there, we are so content. We love the people of Mitumba so much. We love spending time with them. We especially love being invited into their humble homes made of iron sheets and being able to just be there with them.

We spent some time encouraging them, praying with them and accepting the sodas that they had for us to drink. It was a sweet time of fellowship. Mama Kamau was one of the ladies who just graduated from the Bible Study course, and I am looking forward to see the spiritual growth in her life, and the transformation of her family.


Mama Kamau, Kamau and I


The sun was beginning it’s descent as we left Mama Kamau’s home and made our way back to the Church. We leave feeling thankful that we decided to come to Mitumba for the day. We are thankful that we were willing. We are thankful for the public commitments made to Christ, and for the growth that is happening in this small Church in this small slum. We are thankful that God is continually teaching us more and more and allowing us these amazing opportunities. We are thankful.













2 comments:

Leona said...

What a privilege for you guys! You mean so much to the kids and other people in Mitumba! Be assured, God is definitely using you guys in mighty ways!

Kathy said...

I've finally been able to catch up on your blog entries. Andrea, you are such a talented writer! I hope you publish this because it is so inspiring! I'm sure that other missionaries on the field would feel encouraged and gain courage from your experiences, especially since you share your heart so openly and freely. I feel so drawn in by all of your stories, I've lost track of how many times you've had me both laughing and crying. I can't wait to see you and hear more but it is evident that God is using you and that those people need you. Thank you for being willing and for being obedient when you were less willing. God's blessings!