Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Rain in Kenya

Growing up on a farm, I got to experience the need for certain weather. Needing rain for the crops. Needing sunshine so the crops would dry. Praying for the snow to hold off for only a few more days so that the fields could be cleared. Knowing that nasty weather could cause the newborn calves to die (or at least freeze off their tails and ears).

And yet, there was never a time where the weather caused us to starve. Or go without food for any length of time. Or caused our animals to starve. There was never a time where we needed rain for our very survival. Nobody in my family ever died for lack of rain. None of my neighbors ever suffered to the point of not being able to feed their children because of a drought. Do you get what I'm saying? To pray for rain because your survival, and the survival of your family and animals depends on it. To be desperate. To need it.

Kenya has been crying for rain. Kenya and her people have been suffering. Kenya's people have been dying. There are some places, especially in northern Kenya, where all the goats and sheep have died a long time ago, and now the camels are starting to go. When the camels start to die, you know there is an intense lack of rain. Lack of rain= lack of food. It's a terrible problem.

But...God has been answering the cries for help, and we have been receiving wonderful, wonderful rain! It is finally raining in Kenya!! There is just something about the joy on people's faces when the rains come. Such a direct answer to prayer! Please continue to pray for rain all over Kenya...not all of Kenya is receiving this blessing yet.

On that note as well though...we are also expecting to experience an El Nino to strike Kenya sometime soon. This would not be a good thing. Words like: torrential rains. flooding. washing away the topsoil. evacuations. drowning. These words are being used to describe the effects that this El Nino could have on Kenya. So please pray for "good" rain in healthy doses. People still talk about the last El Nino that hit Kenya, and it was a terrible time. So we need your prayers.

We are learning what it means to truly rely on God...and what it means to truly praise Him. Our God is mighty!! He is Mighty to Save.


Everyone needs compassion
A love that's never failing, let mercy fall on me
Everyone needs forgiveness
The kindness of a Saviour, the hope of nations

Saviour, He can move the mountains
My God is mighty to save, He is mighty to save
Forever, author of Salvation
He rose and conquered the grave, Jesus conquered the grave

So take me as You find me
All my fears and failures, fill my life again
I give my life to follow
Everything I believe in, and now I surrender, I surrender

Saviour, He can move the mountains
My God is mighty to save, He is mighty to save
Forever, author of Salvation
He rose and conquered the grave, Jesus conquered the grave

Saviour, He can move the mountains
My God is mighty to save, He is mighty to save
Forever, Author of Salvation
He rose and conquered the grave, Jesus conquered the grave

Shine Your light and let the whole world see, we're singing
For the glory of the risen King, Jesus
Shine Your light and let the whole world see, we're singing
For the glory of the risen King
{Hillsong}

No comments: